An Africa Business Community
The second round of the Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA), which aims to reward innovation across Africa in key sectors of interest, was launched on 2nd of July. It will award USD 150,000 to winners who deliver market-oriented solutions for African-led development.
The Prize is a joint initiative by the African Innovation Foundation (AIF) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
The objectives of the Prize are to:
- Create the platform for identification of submitted innovative projects and for selection of those that could be supported by IPA.
- Promote innovation across Africa in key sectors of interest by providing competitive environment.
- Promote science, technology and engineering as rewarding, exciting and noble career options among Africa’s young generation by profiling successful applicants.
- Encourage entrepreneurs, innovators, funding bodies and business development service providers to exchange ideas and explore innovative business opportunities.
According to Jean-Claude Bastos de Morais, member of the Foundation Board, “We are looking for ideas that move Africa forward and know that multi-sector approach is necessary to speed up African growth.
“The goal is that the initiative will inspire and mobilize African innovators and encourage leaders from all sectors to invest in innovation developed by Africans for Africans.”
The registration deadline for the 2013 prize has been set for 31st October 2012 with no possibility for extensions.
African Innovation Foundation (AIF) was established to support innovation and sustainable development in Africa. AIF’s areas of activity encompass programmes & projects in the fields of:
- Innovation & access to technologies
- Education & culture
The foundation seeks to establish cooperation platforms for institutions, investors and scientists and promote ideas to support them. AIF also wishes to promote transparent processes and procedures within the public sector and combat illegitimate appropriation and dissipation of resources within both the private and public domains.
For more about the Prize and application: http://innovationprizeforafrica.org/media-pr2012114.asp
For more information on AIF: www.africaninnovation.org
- by Quantum Global Corporate Services.